TEATRO MUNICIPAL BALTAZAR DIAS
The Baltazar Dias Theatre is a tribute to the blind playwright from Madeira island, Baltazar Dias, a theatrical author in the second half of the 16th century, whose works have been performed in popular theatres in Europe, Africa and Brazil.
The Theatre, located right in the centre of Funchal, was built in 1888 and exemplifies architectural balance and elegance. It was decorated by two famous painters and decorators of the time, Eugénio do Nascimento Cotrim and the Italian, Luigi Manini.
The ceilings were painted with decorative elements of the romantic era, and the stalls are in horseshoe shape and surrounded by boxes decorated with Greek theatre masks in gilded carved wood. Located in Avenida Arriaga, the Baltazar Dias Municipal Theatre has romantic elements, with the stalls in horseshoe shape and the boxes decorated with Greek theatre masks.
The Baltazar Dias Municipal Theatre is a centennial monument that was built in 1888 and features a great balance and architectural elegance.
Its ornamentation was in charge of two painters and decorators famous at the time, Eugénio Cotrim’s Birth and the Italian Luigi Manini.
The ceilings are painted with decorative elements of the romantic era, and his audience, horseshoe-shaped, is surrounded by boxes decorated with speakers masks of Greek theater, carved gilded wood.